Is your plumbing system ready for Spring and Summer?
As winter pass and warm weather around the corner is important to have our plumbing system running good, but why?
Believe it or not, water is being used more than any other season, that's when plumbing issues happen, for example, overload sewer, clog drains, running faucets or waste of water cause by a small leak.
Here are some tips that can help to prevent any plumbing problems this uncoming seasons .
• Faucets: During cold months outdoor faucets remain close, now the season is changing and with warmer weather we are ready to use outdoor plumbing more often, if your faucets has a shut off valve inside your basement make sure to open valve slowly and remove any trap air by opening every faucet, once water has a steady flow close faucets and make sure you don’t hear water running, in cold weather pipe could froze and crack, this can cause a serious damage, especially if water finds the way back to the house.
• BBQ AREA: Gas valve in any appliance should be inspected before opening main valve in the house, gas valves might had been in contact with snow or salt causing corrosion on the connection, is always good idea check the well being of the valve or for any gas smell to avoid an accident.
• Hose connections: Many people forget to drain remaining water in outdoor hose connectors, this might cause a water leak , if you see a drip or water coming down the side of the house will be good idea to have it replaced.
• Pool houses: With the warm weather pool house bathroom and kitchens will be used more often, when opening the main valve, check around and inside the pool house for any sign of water, crack on toilets tanks, water connections and running faucets.
• Outdoor drains: Spring and summer means more water flow running into your main drain, rain fall, washing driveways and cars can increase the risk to have a clog sewer or backups, make sure drains are clean and have strainers to prevent object or garbage to enter the sewer.
• Septic tanks: If you have a septic tank is always good idea to have it clean and inspected. Warmer weather means more people coming over to visit, this can cause an overflow of your tank creating a back yard nightmare.
• Washer machines: Believe it or not, spring and summer brings more dirty clothes, which leads to over use your washing machine, check hoses and drain connection for any visible crack.
• Dryer vents: As mentioned before if you will be using washer machine more often means dryer will be affected too. Inspect your dryer vent make sure is clean, a dryer vent blockage can cause a fire.
• Unused drain: Many house has emergency drains or funnel drains which only are use while A.C is running and sometimes are not use at all, is always good idea to pour some water in it, to make sure odors won't come out. Make sure they are perfectly cover, warm weather means rodents and insects, this can help to keep them out.
• Showers drain: With people coming over for spring and summer holidays is easier to have a clog shower or tub, have it maintenance is always good and safe way to avoid backups.
• Hot waters: Hot water heaters are very essential part of your house, if you planning to have family over the demand can be higher, to make sure runs smooth is good to have it inspected. If you are planning to be away for long period of time keep your water heater is in the lowest setting or even turn off, remember the life of a regular water heater is 8 to 11 years.
• Water main valve: Same as winter if you are planning to be away for long period of time, I recommend to close main water valve, water won’t be running in case of a burst pipe causing big damages.
• Main sewer: Having a routine cleaning in your main sewer will avoid many problem and many expenses to your pocket, washing more clothes, using more outdoor plumbing can overload your main sewer.
Remember if you need a little help,
keeping your plumbing in good shape,
we are just one call away..